Monday, February 2, 2009

assignment#2

I think Amir's relationship with his father is distant and unhealthy.
He is very proud of Baba and always tries to attract his interest. In the chapter 3, when Baba motioned to him to hold his hat for him, he said that "I was glad to, because then everyone would see that he was my father, my Baba." . And he even hated all the kids Baba was building the orphanage for. He wanted to have Baba all to himself. However, Baba was aloof from him. He had already envisioned the ideal son for him but his son was totally different from it. That caused his frustration and anger. He said "If I hadn't seen the doctor pull him out of my wife with my own eyes, I'd never believe he's my son.". I felt sad because Amir really loved him even though he knew that Baba hated him. Their loves are quite different in degree. That's why I think their relationship is distant and unhealthy.

4 comments:

  1. we are holding totally oppsite viewpoint.But, yours is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exactly what I thinking about these two chapter. However, I want to belive they still love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I want to believe they still love each other, too! You will see how their relationship changes during the course of the novel. Hitomi, your view is quite pessimistic, but you are very consistent and you use good support from the text.

    ReplyDelete