Monday, February 9, 2009

Hiyam (Assignment # 3)

Based on my reading, I think the relationship between Hassan and Amir is very strong relationship and they are like brothers but not biological brothers. To support my answers, I would like to refer to Amir conversation with Assef in page 41. More specifically, Assef asked Amir why he treated Hassan very nice and why let him do more things such as playing, talking, and touching Amir. Amir replied “He’s my servant” but Amir never thought like Hassan was, He treated him well, just like a friend, better even, more like a brother. Another reason reflected the strong relationship was when Hassan held the slingshot pointed directly at Assef’s face to defend Amir, this behavior also supported and reflected how strong their relationship was. Based on the above two reasons, it could be concluded that the relationship is very strong as brothers.
On the other hand, others could argue against my opinion since Amir did not include Hassan in group playing when Baba’s friends’ kids came to visit Amir. The reason for this behavior was due to cultural standards since Hassan was known as Hazara.
Hiyam

1 comment: