Sunday, March 1, 2009

Jiahui's assignment 5

In my opinion, "Baba loved the idea of America" means he loved its daring and resolution. Baba was a tough guy so he appreciated a really strong and powerful country, such as America. What he said could prove it:"There are only three real men in this world, America the brash savior, Britain, and Israel." Beside of his own emotion to this country, there was also another reason Baba loved this idea. It's because his son, Amir. He believed America was able to give Amir a brand new life. Thus, Baba made it as one last gift for his son. He said exactlly,"I didn't bring us here for me, did I?" However, America was more difficult to be adapted than Baba had imagined before. As Amir explained to Mr. Nguyen: "my father is still adjusting to life in America." Baba didn't have his status and wealth any more. He should create his life at the very beginning. It's an enormous change that he turned to be a worker at gas station from upper class. Those hardships and poignancy expressed the distance between dream and fact.
Before I came here, I thought the American life may be quite different from the Chinese life and the differences will appear in every aspects. Thus, I wondered if I can stand it. In the matter of fact, ignoring the tastes of food, it's not so hard for me to adapt the life here, however. Even though I've met some rough problems and I know I'll meet more, it's not a big deal. I'm strong enough to face the challenges from life because I believe the future is in my own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment